DeanwoodxDesign Call for Visual Artists
CALL FOR ARTIST THEME:
DeanwoodxDesign: Designing Life through the Arts
Deadline: June 20 at 5:30pm
DeanwoodxDesign is a creative place-making project sponsored by ArtPlace and the DC Office of Planning (OP). ArtPlace, a new private-public collaboration, is an initiative of eleven of America’s top foundations working in collaboration with the National Endowment for the Arts and seven federal agencies, ArtPlace’s aim is to drive revitalization across the country by putting the arts at the center of economic development. Each project supported by ArtPlace has been selected for developing a new model of helping towns and cities thrive by strategically integrating artists and arts organizations into key local efforts in transportation, housing, community development, job creation, and more.
OP received a grant from ArtPlace to promote Arts and Culture Temporiums in emerging creative neighborhoods in the District, where vacant and/or underutilized storefronts and empty lots would be transformed into an artist showcase/village for three to six month periods. The Deanwood Arts and Cultural Temporium will provide a unique opportunity for artists to showcase their work to residents and visitors as part of a nationally-profiled project.
The exhibition DeanwoodxDesign: Designing Life through the Arts is seeking submissions of two and three dimensional original artwork in any medium that embodies the artist’s reflection of one of three aspects; Community Design, Sustainability Design and Lifestyle Design* and their work as an artist; including but not limited to photography, painting, illustration, sculpture and beyond. All artwork must be created by the artist submitting the art. Open to artists ages 18 and up from the District of Columbia. Artists from Wards 7 and 8 will be given first priority. We highly encourage environmental/recycled artwork (including by not limited to paper, textiles, rubber, etc.) and sculpture.
All artwork should be no larger than 30″W x 30″H in size and must be properly wired and ready to hang. Larger works may be considered on a case-by-case basis. No saw-toothed hangers or hooks will be accepted. Unframed works should be properly wired and have neatly finished edges. In addition, there is limited space for small sculptured media.
*Definition of Aspects
Community - visual art that depicts creating community through collective experiences, events and human connection.
Sustainability - visual art that depicts the idea of living in cohesion with mother nature through exploring ways communities utilize renewable energy in their everyday lives.
Lifestyle - visual art that depicts designing your life through health, style/fashion, the arts, athletics, dance and other socially engaging activities
- Entry deadline: June 20, 2012 at 5:30pm
- Selected artists notified no later than June 25, 2012
- Exhibition dates are July 14 – October 31, 2012
- Installation is scheduled for June 28-July 13, 2012
- De-Installation: November 1-9, 2012
- Artist must complete an online entry form which includes:
- Artist’s name
- Ward of residency
- Daytime and evening phone number(s)
- Name, medium, dimensions, and weight of artwork
- If artwork is part of a collection, list the total number of pieces in the collection
- Artist Statement
- Labeled artwork by June 20, 2012 at 5:30pm to email@example.com
- Artwork emails must be labeled with:
- Call for Artist in Subject line
- Artist’s name and phone number in body of email
- Title of work and name on file
- Artists can submit up to two (2) images per entry (a resolution of at least 300 dpi preferred) of artwork you propose to include for consideration in DeanwoodxDesign: Designing Life through the Arts.
- Images must be in the following format types: jpg, tiff, pdf. Please reduce the size to less than 2MB per photo, but larger than 640px on the large side of the image.
ALL work will be subject to a nominal hanging fee.
Artists selected to exhibit will be notified no later than June 25, 2012; however, notification may be provided on a rolling basis from the issuance of this date. Installation will begin June 28 or sooner. Instructions for delivery of work shall be included in notification.
This call allows artist’s the opportunity to showcase their work in an Art and Culture Temporium a nationally funded project. Artists are encouraged to sell their work at prices established by the artist without a consignment fee. However, artwork must remain in place through the duration of the exhibition. Artist must negotiate the sale of their own art works and submit receipts and record of sale to Kimberly C. Gaines, Creative Director of DeanwoodxDesign via hard copy or scan.
FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
Contact Kimberly C. Gaines - firstname.lastname@example.org or go to the web at www.deanwoodxdesign.com
* All images submitted into DeanwoodxDesign: Designing Life through the Arts remain the sole property of the artist. The views portrayed by art submissions remain the individual artist’s perspective, not that of DeanwoodxDesign.
** DeanwoodxDesign reserves the right to use any image submitted for promotion of our website and DeanwoodxDesign Artplace Art and Culture Temporium .
*** DeanwoodxDesign is funded through a DC Office of Planning ArtPlace Art & Cultural Temporium Grant for 2012 and is managed by Partners for Livable Communities.
**** DeanwoodxDesign and affiliates related to this project are not liable for any damaged, lost, or stolen work of or related to artwork. Artist are responsible for their own insurance.
As part of this project, visual artwork will be displayed at Temporium galleries within the Deanwood community and located at:
- Taylor Made Business Center - 4646 Nannie Helen Burroughs Ave. NE
- IDEA Public Charter School Wellness Center - 1027 45th Street, NE
- East River Family Strengthening Collaborative - 3917 Minnesota Avenue, NE
- Department of Employment Services - 4058 Minnesota Avenue, NE
- Artistic excellence – determined by a panel comprised of community members and the DxD Team
- Public impact with preference given to projects with a positive/lasting impact on the
- Deanwood community
- Projects from or which partner with Ward 7 artists, organizations or businesses will
- be given priority